AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Rheumatoid arthritis
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

BigNorsk
Posted 2/5/2020 10:14 (#8022795 - in reply to #8019727)
Subject: RE: Rheumatoid arthritis

Rolla, ND
You get a couple things with RA, inflammation pain and joint damage leading to more inflammation and pain.

Once diagnosed, the most common start is with methotrexate once a week. This is to change the direction of the RA. Thing is, it often takes up to 12 weeks to see differences. So it could be doing great and your dad wouldn’t feel any different in 2 or three weeks. So give it time.

Now a couple of things are often done to deal with the current inflammation. One is a round of steroids which really takes the immediate inflammation down. Doesn’t sound like the doc thought your dad was bad enough to warrant that. The 1% over the counter steroid creams or gels rubbed into the joints really do a lot for some people. Some absorb them well, some don’t so your mileage can vary a lot. The gels are much like vaseline so people don’t like that but the gels tend to work better than the creams. Rub in morning and evening, 2 or 3 days tosee difference if it is going to work.

Topical pain relievers also give some relief.

The other thing often done is NSAIDs. Prescription forCelebrex is strong, other prescriptive NSAIDs also strong.
Unt
Over the counter like Aleve aren’t bad but weaker. Don’t overdose but steady better than take a couple, forget a couple.

They have their own risks. If your father has kidney problems, I wouldn’t do NSAIDs without doctor ok.

Tylenol provides pain relief but not antiinflammatory.

Diet does make a difference. I would suggest upping the Omega 3 fats and lowering the Omega 6. If you want, I can write you a book on that. In the real world, get some fish oil tablets and take them, if they give fish burps, change brand. Don’t use regular sunflower oil. High oleic would be ok.

I would also say the various glucosamine chondroitin products out there do seem to make a significant long term difference.

The other thing that really makes a difference is movement. Walks, swimming, bicycle, whatever will make huge long term. Sit in tractor all day followed by sit all evening is bad.

Now here is the short term serious answer. Have your dad call the doctor and ask if there is something he could do now to reduce the inflammation and pain.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)