AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fish oil
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

antler
Posted 2/4/2020 09:32 (#8020445 - in reply to #8020042)
Subject: RE: Be careful on the claims of reduction of events

North Central IL
I agree, healthy diet and exercise is the best way to go. Everyone knows that's easier said than done, however. Explains why a high percentage of medical doctors in the US are overweight. They aren't fat due to lack of knowledge. You're in a minority group having strong will power.

The Reduce-It trial, which studied the rx fish oil I linked to, included 8,179 randomized patients over 11 countries. 70% of them already had established heart disease. The remaining needed to have diabetes and additional risk factors. So yes, high risk. IIRC they were all on statins. 3,146 of the patients were in the US. The real number (Absolute, not relative) you're looking for, was better than .001. It was 6.5% absolute risk reduction in a 1st occurrence of the 5 point MACE (death, nonfatal MI, nonfatal stroke, coronary revascularization, unstable angina), in the US group. Worldwide, 705 patients had an event taking the pill, vs 901 events on placebo. 4.8%. Those nations probably have a more healthy diet than Americans??

I don't take this prescription or any others, but those numbers would perk me up a little if I needed medical help and was asking about fish oil. Obviously we don't know the OP's situation. Glad you replied. Just wanted to point out some more precise numbers on this particular trial. I thought it was a pretty big deal in the cardio world when they concluded the study in '18. I imagine giving people a couple more years of quality life is the unspoken goal.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)