AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Attn John Burns
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 1/29/2020 17:04 (#8008783 - in reply to #8008637)
Subject: low blood sugar feeling

Pittsburg, Kansas
Well that is the main thing, that you feel well and have energy.

I am VERY familiar with what low blood sugar feels like. The older I got, the more brittle I got.

I have experienced low blood sugar under water while diving about a half dozen times over the last 10-12 years. Always near the end of the dive. I always carried a tube of glucose in my BC pouch. I would take it out, take the cap off while slightly squeezing so salt water would not enter the tube in the small air cavity, take the regulator out of my mouth, insert the glucose tube and squeez, swallow, then reinsert the regulator and breathe. All done at depth. Would rest for a minute or two then start with slow activity. Usually happened when either 1. I had ate less carbs than what I had taken insulin for or 2. got in a lot of current where my excercise level was greater than expected.

I do know what low blood sugar is like. I'm lucky in that I can detect it before it gets too bad. Not all people can, as I understand it. Most of my lows would come in the middle of the night when I did not plan properly with the insulin or if I ended up taking it at a resturant then found out we had an hour wait. Something like that.

When I dropped to about 45-50 I would feel like crap for the next hour or two. Just wasted, like I was back in high school and just finished 4 quarters of basketball.

It is SOOOO wonderful being off insulin and diabetic drugs. Over the years it is kind of like gaining weight. It just comes on slowly. One diabetic drug, then later another. Then small amounts of insulin. And a little more, and a little more. Till I was taking a total of 100 units in 4 seperate shots per day.

Then I quit it all in two weeks. By diet change. With better glucose levels than I have seen in years. By what I simply do not put in my mouth. Amazing.

John

Edited by John Burns 1/29/2020 17:11
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)