AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Notebook in sprayer
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

dpilot83
Posted 1/17/2020 19:41 (#7981835 - in reply to #7980764)
Subject: RE: Notebook in sprayer

Since no one else has replied, what is your budget?

Rugged laptops are generally quite expensive but I don’t really see the need for a rugged laptop anywhere anymore. The biggest thing they used to do was protect the hard drive but that is not a big deal anymore with SSD hard drives.

If I were buying a laptop to keep in the sprayer all the time I would be looking at something dirt cheap like a used Lenovo T430 off eBay for $200. When it showed up I would slap an SSD in it and install Windows 10 and Microsoft Office on it and run with it.

Some rugged laptops would have a brighter screen but I don’t think I’d be willing to pay much for something that is literally going to be used about 10 minutes every day the sprayer is running.

I do have to ask though, since I have both (a T430 14” laptop and an iPad Air 2), why don’t you like entering data on a spreadsheet with a tablet?

The tablet and Bluetooth keyboard is very nice because:

1. It can easily mount with a suction cup on the window

2. It doesn’t require anything fancy for a charger

3. It’s cheap for something very reliable

4. It can serve as a mobile hotspot for other devices if you so desire (or can be even cheaper if you only want wifi)

5. The Bluetooth keyboard can be tossed anywhere

6. Almost instantly on when you’re ready to enter a record

Having used an iPad for spreadsheet data entry in the field quite a bit I’m confident there is no way I could come anywhere close to doing the data entry as cheaply or quickly or reliably or conveniently on my T430 as I can with the iPad and Bluetooth keyboard.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)