AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

eat less, move more
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 1/18/2020 11:16 (#7983099 - in reply to #7982562)
Subject: what we eat

Pittsburg, Kansas
We are low carb high good fat and most of the time in low level ketosis. We only check our ketones once in a great while but when we do they usually run from .3 to .7 or so. If we go 22-24 hour fast (for me a couple times a week while down here) they might get up to 1.2

We eat lots of meat. Actually most recently we are probably 90-95% carnivore. Wife has found over time she feels the best when she severely limits her vegetables. I'm a little more tolerant to them. They give both of us gas. I think she would give up vegetables completely but she loves onions and really likes green peppers. So we still eat a few veggies. She uses cauliflower rice quite a bit as a potato substitute. We will have some other green vegies on occasion.

When we started this diet almost a year ago, we ate lots of green vegies and modest amounts of meats. We have kind of switched that around. Now we mostly eat meat and eggs and cheese, with small amounts of veggies for some variety. We eat avocados regularly too.

Meat? About anything. One of my favorites is good quality fatty hamburger. 28% fat when we can gett it. Hamburgers (with no bun or bread), sloppy joe's, pizza without the crust, meat loaf, etc. I like hamburger about any way you can cook it. Wife nearly always adds diced bacon to it to increase the fat and we also like the taste. All kinds of pork including ground pork. Steaks, stew meat, chicken, you name it. Fatty cuts of beef diced up into cubes and cooked in an instant pot is a favorite also, but we do not have an Instant Pot down here for the winter. We haunt the discount rack in the meat section and buy a lot that is just going out of date. Free beef aging! LOL

Pork belly (basically uncured bacon) is a popular cut down here that we eat regularly, often in conjunction with a leaner cut of beef we have found on the discount rack. Started eating a fair amount of liverworst (liver, heart, kidney) as appetizer to get some organ meat for some vitamin/mineral variety.

Takes about a pound of meat to satisfy me at a meal. Recently we have been splitting a tin of sardines (preferrably in olive oil) for an apetizer while she is preparing supper and I will also eat a bunch of smoked sausage and cheese with maybe a hand full of radishes. Then for the main meal plenty of meat along with chaffles (eggs and cheese) for a bread substitute. Might have some sauerkraut and dill pickles. Used to have a veggie side dish, but we mostly just stick with the meat now. One night we had stew meat and onion soop for the side dish along with the meat main course.

For lunch today I am having a tin of sardines and some pork rinds. Basically any breakfast or lunch we have is more like a snack, then our main meal is supper. There I eat till I am full. If I do not get enough fat and protein at supper, I will end up hungry the next day.

At home we basically never eat breakfast. But down here breakfast is provided with our room so we eat breakfast on Monday, Wednesday and Friday when eggs are served. I have been eating sardines for lunch on those days too as I found with all the exercise I am getting I run a little short on energy (and get cold diving) if I don't. I don't get hungry really, just a little tired and cold. Then on Tuesday and Thursday I just eat one meal a day, supper, in hopes of getting some autophagy so my body will re-process some of the lose skin I have after losing so much weight. Wife does even more OMAD's cause she still wants to lose some weight.

Funny thing is, I am more likely to get hungry for lunch on the days that I eat breakfast than the days I don't. It really is no big deal eating one meal a day when you are fully fat adapted. What I have found though is it is hard for me to just physically chew enough calories if I do OMAD every day. Getting as much physical activity as I am getting down here (not to mention getting cold from being in the water over 2 hours a day) I find it hard to eat enough at one meal a day. I was going to do it 4 days a week but found I was just having a hard time consuming enough calories that way. Two days a week seems to work fine.

We would really like to try 0 carb carnivor for a month but my wife loves onions and we like the fat in avocados, so not sure we will try that. Plus when we eat out the dinner we can get all salad for a side and if carnivor would just have to leave food on the plate. Plus it gets darn expensive eating out and only eating meat. I had what they call "mixed grill" at Mi Bananna resturant (Bolivian) last night. Chorizo sausage, pork chop, steak and chicken. With all salad (avacado dressing) for the two sides instead of the usual starchy fries, yucca or rice. Delicious. Pretty close to a pound of meat.

A lot of what I eat today I would have turned my nose up big time a year ago. Once off the sugar/fast carb train the taste buds change. I am eating stuf, and enjoying it, that I would have never imagined. I actually look forward to good quality sardines in olive oil. Would have only eaten sardines on a bet a couple years ago. Same with liverworst.

A person doesn't really realize how bad they felt till they suddenly start feeling soooooo much better. I'm a ten year younger man than I was just a year ago. Lost a hundred pounds eating all that I want to eat till I am satisfied. Just changed WHAT I put in my mouth.

John

Edit: forgot to add. Almost every night we have a cup of plain full fat yogurt (with the whey strained off) along with about 3 or 4 Brazil nuts (gets our daily selenium requirement) chopped up and 10-12 blueberries (or strawberries or rasberries) for a desert. A little 85% or above chocolate shaved on top and some cinnimon. Seems to satisfy us for that little extra something desert after the meal.

Edited by John Burns 1/18/2020 11:49
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)