AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

eat less, move more
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 1/15/2020 07:14 (#7975170 - in reply to #7975089)
Subject: the joy of fat adaptation

Pittsburg, Kansas
I was listening to this last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj_Bc9hdHa0

It is LONG. Only half way through it. But it is an interesting talk. I think he makes lots of very good points.

If I had to guess I would guess that as man evolved they more likely did a feast then famine type diet. When they killed a big animal, they would gourge on organ meats (which are highest in fat and nutrition) which would spoil otherwise, then probably process some of the tougher muscle meats (the Inuit fed the muscle meat to the dogs) maybe by drying if they were not in a cold climate. Then between big kills they might subsist on small animals, bugs, some plant food in season, fruit in season, etc.

So I am pretty sure that you are right that humans have not always had "three square meals" a day, let alone three meals and four mini-meal snacks in between.

I think we are designed to feast then go without for a while. With the modern diet we have short circuited the way we were designed to operate.

I did one meal yeaterday, supper. I did my first dive at 70 minutes just before noon time. Did a second "drift" dive from the next door dive site to our house reef. It is always a long dive. This time it was against the current all the way. 70 minutes what is normally a 50-60 minute dive, against significant current all the way. Stayed reasonably shallow (above 50') and made the entire dive without doing any surface swim with 540 psi left in the tank. A year ago and a hundred pounds heavier, I would have had a short surface swim back to the dock. The new me made it and hardly broke a sweat. No sore muscles. My dive buddy had to swim the last third and this was a guy that fifteen years ago got his picture in the local Bonaire paper for swimming from Bonaire to Klein Bonaire and all the way around it (surface swim). I did it easily with no breakfast and no lunch and no snacks. Ate supper a couple hours later and still was not particularly excessively hungry.

Getting off the sugar train and becoming a fat burner is SOOOO liberating. Most people will never believe that. I feel sad for them.

John

Edited by John Burns 1/15/2020 07:15
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)