AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

in loving memory
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

kggonzo
Posted 3/12/2009 01:40 (#641156)
Subject: in loving memory

Northeast Nebraska and Candelaria Philippines
My grandpa passed away 7 years ago today. I'm the oldest grandson and I grew up 1 mile away from his farm. I was lucky to get to spend so much time with him. In my teenage years I bet I saw him almost every day. In my preteen days I have fond memories of riding my bike to grandma and grandpa's house.

My grandfather smoked. He had prostate cancer in the early 90's. He stopped smoking for a few years, then started back up. He was up to about 3 packs a day when he was diagnosis with lung cancer. He didn't make it 2 months after that. Worked pretty much every day of his life up to the last 2 months.

I would do anything to have him here today. We've done lots of stuff I know he'd be proud of. Done lots of stuff I would of got my ass chewed for too.

I wish he could have been around 2 years ago. My little brother and I had 350 Holstein calves on milk at one time. Over 1000 head of calves under 300 lbs. It never worked out, and lost my ass, but it sure was something to see. I know he would have been proud to see his grand kids working so hard.

Last year we got our first 4 x 4 tractor. 10 or 15 years ago, I would have never imagined we would ever be big enough to have one. We got a 8960 last year and just got a 9300 this year. I remember going up to the South Dakota state fair when the 60 series 4x4 came out. I would have been about 12 years old. Never would have dreamed of having one. When he was around, our biggest tractor was a 7800.

We also put up our first pivot. It is a 16 tower valley that goes all the way around the whole section. Wish he could see that.

We raised our highest dryland corn ever at 197. Grandpa wouldn't believe that. Irrigated organic corm that made over 200. Yield monitor would hit over 300 in lots of places. This was the farm that my grandpa was born on. I wonder what grandpa would have to say about the GPS.

My brother has gotten married, grandpa would be proud. My sister had a baby. It would be grandpa's first great granddaughter, Abby Grace.

My other brother who's 24 rented 1000 acres last year put it to organic corn and came out great. We ran a plow and disk just about 24 hours a day for a month. Planted corn 24 hours a day a few times. Us 3 brothers trading off to get 3000 acres planted with a 12 row. Grandpa would be proud.

Grandpa would be about 75 today. Without those cigs he would probably be around today. I wish we could share these things with him.

I just don't understand why someone would start smoking these days. I know there are alot of older folks on the forum. I'm sure a few of you smoke. I'm sure you think it'll never effect you. Or, you say, when it's my time, it's my time. Or you say, so and so smoked and lived to be 89.

I hope you give it a second thought the next time you light up. Think of your grand kids. Your lonely wife. It hurts them greatly that you aren't around today.

Love you grandpa!

Edited by kggonzo 3/12/2009 02:21
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)