AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Not much grease after frying bacon ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 1/14/2020 07:53 (#7972923 - in reply to #7972895)
Subject: moderation is good

Pittsburg, Kansas
SDFarmboy's suggestion of moderation is a good one.

The question becomes "moderation compared to what?"

If a person looks at the sugar consumption in pounds per person say in 1900 compared to today, what would be "moderation"? I think we as a society are way over the top on consumption of sugar, highly processed foods high in carbohydrates that basically turn to sugar almost as quickly as table sugar, and consuming amounts of oils that were never natural in nature in the amounts we are consuming.

Wife and I had the same experience after only a week. We felt so much better we trashed and gave away all the carbs we had just bought at the store other than the green vegetables. After two weeks there was no question we were on the right track considering I went from 100 units of insulin a day to Zero with BETTER blood sugar control.

Eating enough fat is key from my perspective. If you reduce carbs and don't replace it with either fat or protein (there are only the three macronutrients), a person is really just doing caloric intake reduction. And that is going to lead to hunger and reduced metabolism. You can lose weight that way. Science has proven it. But it has also proven that reducing carbs and replacing with fat loses weight faster/better, keeps your metabloism up once you are "fat adapted", and you don't have to be hungry all the time like in a calorie restricted diet. Wife and I eat all we want. We just choose what not to eat.

And as we get older it is also hard to overdose on protein as we do not utilize it as well as when younger and it is needed to maintain lean body mass.

But not everyone is the same. Some people are very carb tolerant. There is a lady here at the Inn that we see every year. She is thin and trim and always has been. Never a problem with weight. She eats mostly vegetables but is not opposed to eating some meat. It serves her well.

I am very carb intolerant. If I eat the ribeye steak with baked potatoe and a side of corn or baked beans, topped off with a piece of pie my glucose will be 225-250 an hour later. I just can't do that. I had a huge meal last night and an hour later my sugar was at 142. All with no exogenous insulin nor diabetic medicines. Yet I am full blown type II diabetic that was previously on insulin therapy and diabetic drugs for many years.

If I want to stay healthy, I HAVE to limit my carbs. It is that simple. No pill is going to cure my ill, as the song lyrics said.

John

Edited by John Burns 1/14/2020 08:01
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)