AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Combining speed in beans
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

msb
Posted 11/1/2006 20:34 (#57201 - in reply to #57189)
Subject: RE: Combining speed in beans

Lapel, In
Probably shouldn't even open my mouth here since I have never even been in a rotary combine.Good threshing in a conventional combine,at least, is determined by the cylinder speed, concave setting and ground speed.
My very first year of farming, I had an AC All Crop and was trying to cut my first field of oats.I was running in 1 st gear with a Farmell M and the combine was doing a terrible job.Loads of green stuff in the tank.Dad came out,took one look and said to shift it into second.WHAT! Its doing bad enough as it is.I shifted up a gear and ----- beautiful clean oats. Dad said that extra speed pushed the oats on through the machine instead of letting the cylinder grind up the green stuff.
He's been gone 33 years and I still miss him and his good advice.
Sounds like you might need to speed up the rotor and the ground speed and let the beans do some threshing of themselves. Push those stems on through before they wrap around the rotor?
I am still running a 1981 7720 and I always have the cylinder set in the corn range when cutting beans.Never where Deere said to set it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)