AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Accounting Software
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

MiradaAcres
Posted 1/8/2020 10:12 (#7959805 - in reply to #7959454)
Subject: RE: Accounting Software

scmn
I have spreadsheets back to 2008. At that time I did a few small building jobs here and there, and minimal business expenses. At that point I kept track of income on one sheet, expenses on another, and donations another. As I got more and more income with some from farming some from rents I added income and expense sheets for each enterprise. Eventually I gathered income and expense into the same sheet with columns for income, expense, enterprise, and category. A few years ago I began working with an FBM instructor and they wanted to figure a balance sheet and I had never done one. They provided an Excel sheet but it would not handle the multiple enterprise very well and still have a few different sheets for entries. At that point I reworked my sheet into my current style. I use their software for the cashflow and balance sheet and every entry has my Acct# listed in the description. I give the FBM a print out of my Chart of Accounts with balances and they figure up the Balance Sheet for the bank. I preenter anticipated purchases and sales with dates and they create the cashflow.

What I am learning about finances with the FBM instructor is it that a few more tweaks to my sheet and I will be able to use my historical data to create a cashflow and a balance sheet for any date in time using the chart of accounts sumif statement and adding a if statement for month. I am pretty good with macros and will work an a macro to take the google form data and add it to my records. For now each year has it's own workbook and the end of year chart of accounts for the previous year gets entered as carryover in the next year and is the starting point. This is the time consuming part at the end of the year that I would like to remove. I can filter my pivot table by year for the P&L statement, it is the Balance Sheet that I struggled with but thinking about it all it requires is a max date filter on the chart of accounts to get the balance sheet for any given date. Most is easily doable with some free time. Also trying to figure out how I can enter line items in the ledger for acct receivable and pull them for an invoice (currently filter and pull into invoice that way, but a pivot table or macro should be able to do that too. Big thing is repeat ability. At some point I will just query the ledger and treat the Excel file as a database an use annual copies as backups.

One thing I though about for this year is keeping track of vehicle mileage in my inventory log side of the ledger instead of a separate sheet. Realistically I am producing mileage every time I drive and my sheet is setup for crops like that, just need a crop called "mileage" and it can be entered easily. A simple filter or query can summarize the year and make finding a particular trip easy. Yearly mileage x IRS rate would take care of expense in sheet too.

IMHO the biggest advantages of having everything documented in one place: it is easy to enter everything when using the same system to you enter everything and is it would make a tax audit easier being able to produce records that are pertinent in a timely manner. About the time I get the sheet perfected in 20-30 years it will be time to retire.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)