AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

A tip for Hardi Sprayer owners
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Jmark71
Posted 3/9/2009 23:21 (#638117 - in reply to #637952)
Subject: RE: Here's another tip....

Kentucky

bowtieighth - 3/9/2009 21:12

dairyfarmer - 3/9/2009 18:49

hardi is the best sprayer out there

For what reason?

I guess I will take a stab at this question. I have used Hardi sprayers for the past 20 years. Here's a few things I like:

1.) Best boom in the market. The Eagle boom was really, really good and a standard. Deere bought them to put on their first self propelleds.  The Force booms are even better with very few wear points in a 3D -- "carried from the top" boom.  I'd put boom stability and durability against anyone.  They rarely need any adjustment to stay in top condition.  If you watch other companies, you will see them adding design elements that Hardi has used for years. 

2.) Lots of features -- suspended axle, great inductor, tank guage reads center of the tank, best filtering system for a pull type with self cleaning filter (also a prefilter and boom screens), good crop clearance for a pull type (Commander Series), electric fence row nozzles.

3.) Diaphragm pumps offer a wide range of spray options with high capacity and high pressure.  The diaphragm pump allows you to spray more accurately without a controller than some systems do with a controller especially when changing ground speeds with the throttle.  The newer Hardi controller is improved over the previous versions.

4.) Hardi tips (Syntal tips) offer longer wear life than TeeJet stainless and far better than TeeJet poly.  I like the Quintastream 5 hole cap better than the 3 or 7 hole cap options for uniformity of liquid fertilizer application.

5.) Better resale even with a lot of acres on them.  I think the Commander with a Force boom is the Mercedes of pull type sprayers and would take a used one over most others new.

6.) Really nice flush and rinse system.

7.) Can add boom control with EZ 500 for much less cost than EZ Boom because it's tied into the 5500 controller.

Now for a few things I don't like:

1.)  Metric parts.  I stock a few of the things that will keep me running and you can get things overnight if you have to.  I don't use many parts other than a pump kit every 3-4 years and o-rings.  I get metric o-rings and hydraulic fittings from a local hydraulic store.  Hardi has not used good enough hydraulic hoses in the past for the higher pressure of today's tractors, but they have since changed that problem.  Until the past couple of years, I never liked their hydraulic hoses.

2.) Certain years Navigator models had lots of problems.  I have been running Commanders, but know of several problems with the Nav's of the past 5 or so years.  I don't know if they have a good record in the past couple of years.

3.) No close large dealer forcing me to stock a few more parts than I would normally.  (Parts can be overnighted if necessary.  Hoses don't have to be metric and  valves are Banjo now.)

4.) Cost.

5.) Previous sprayer had lots of manufacturing oversights from the plant.  Hydraulics plumbed wrong.  Wrong orifices in hydraulic block.  Lights not wired correctly in the harness.  Several things that should have been caught before it ever left the plant.  It turned out to be a good sprayer after I spent a lot of time on the phone with tech to redo what they messed up.  I think some quality control issues were common in the early part of this decade.  I heard dealers complain about support as well.  It does appear at this point that Hardi is righting the ship on this point.  My current sprayer has been near perfect.

Edited by Jmark71 3/9/2009 23:24
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)