AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Quicken vs Quick books
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

pat-michigan
Posted 12/15/2019 08:40 (#7908157 - in reply to #7902770)
Subject: RE: Quicken vs Quick books

Thumb of Michigan
Weldon - 12/12/2019 14:06

just doing basic farming accounting which do guys think is best

I'm going out on a limb here and assuming you're using something other than your computer for book keeping now. Paper ledger, a spreadsheet or 2, maybe the back of napkins. Not knocking it, if you throw a shoebox into it, that's where I used to be.

I started with a quicken- like software program many years ago. Can't remember what it was called, but although it I thought it put me into the space age record keeping wise, it was awfully simple to use.

And, I'll never discount simple as being bad. See, what made things a little more problematic for us was that since my Mom had passed, my Dad was doing the books. He was a very good businessman, he understood ratios and trends when presented to him. He could generate more useful charts in his head and transfer them to the welding bench with a piece of chalk than I could with a computer many times. Had zero patience in generating the numbers to begin with though. Far as he was concerned, we needed 2 accounts in this new software. Income. Expense. Period. Take one from the other, now we've got a basis for a conversation. Otherwise, if you want more detail, either you do it or hire it done. We did hire a lot of it done for a few years, even after starting with the computer accounting, because my senior partner wasn't comfortable using a computer and I had a full plate doing other things.

He eventually became more curious as I was using the software for my own personal accounting. I set him up with his own account for his personal stuff, and signed him up for a basic computer class at the local tech center one winter. He got along just fine. He started taking on a lot more accounting via the computer, and got comfortable with it.

Eventually, that software wasn't working for us. New computer wouldn't support the old stuff. Tried Quicken, and liked it. Used it for a year, and decided we needed to go to QuickBooks. For payroll if nothing else.

This was a long way around to where I wanted to head here. If someone was wanting to upgrade from paper to software, and simple made the difference as to whether the entries got made or just put off for down the road, theres not a thing wrong with Quicken. I self taught myself Quicken. I took a number of classes to get comfortable with QuickBooks. QuickBooks isn't an easy thing to master if you don't have some accounting background. I don't think anyone would be out a lot of money IF they wanted to crawl before they ran by using Quicken for a couple years and then going to QuickBooks- assuming that again someone is moving from a paper type record keeping background to a computer based.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)