AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

cloud
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

paul the original
Posted 12/6/2019 12:05 (#7890814 - in reply to #7890782)
Subject: RE: cloud

southern MN
Negatives is that pictures and videos take a huge amount of space and internet data time/ bandwidth to move. My iPad filled the free space in 2 weeks, I’m not going to pay a fee to someone every month for them to have my info. I can buy my own backup equipment that works much much faster than the rural internet system. It nearly used up my cell data plan in 2 days, out of the box it was set up,to burn up every possible option it could to use everything to load up the Apple servers with my info. I was not really amused.

The data you send off to who knows where is being held who knows where, and may be used by who knows who. It’s out there in the Internet somewhere, typically the offshore server farms are cheaper and your data will be in a foreign country.

These services can flick a switch and end. That has happened with a few backup and picture storage firms in the past. If you depend on that cloud as the one spot to store your stuff, it can be gone at the end of any month when the service decides or is forced to close.

So, they can be convenient if you know how to use them. It’s really nice to share info among family or a business environment.

They can open up security issues and ultimately are not really that rock solid as a backup, only offer one more layer of storage as long as that company stays afloat.

If you don’t know what it is and don’t use it, shut it all down. No point to it.

Making backups is a good idea, really good idea, have you worked on any plan to back up stuff? Using the cloud is a convenience.

Paul
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)