AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

question UniFi Dream Machine
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Drilldo
Posted 12/6/2019 17:34 (#7891211 - in reply to #7890898)
Subject: RE: question UniFi Dream Machine

Texas
Unifi stuff is awesome. I switched to it about a month ago before the dream machine was released.

I have a USG pro, their 24 port switch, a building bridge going to my shop, and 5 nano HD access points. Pretty much my entire network is Unifi gear.

To fully utilize its capabilities with VLANS and such I think you will need to ditch the google wifi. The dream machine has a built in wireless access point but I don't know if it will reach everywhere like the google mesh does. You may need to add some unifi access points spread around the house. It certainly will function with the google wifi but I think you will lose some features doing so.

As to your main question I don't know. I wonder the same thing and am going to try tonight. I too have fiber (not Verizon - from the CO-OP) that fiber runs to the house and connects to a box on the outside of the house and then ethernet runs from there to a CO-OP supplied router. I don't use the wi-fi on the router I just have my USG plugged in to it. I have never tried connecting the ethernet cable from the fiber box directly to my USG.

With anything Ubiquiti I always throw out a disclaimer that they really don't design this stuff for the average consumer. I wouldn't say it is rocket science to set it up but it definitely is more challenging than picking up something from best buy or Wal mart. Since you even know what a VLAN is you will probably be fine but if the average Joe off the street bought any of this stuff they would be really frustrated.

Edited by Drilldo 12/6/2019 17:47
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)