AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

JD 544H starter
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Gerard
Posted 10/30/2006 23:32 (#56625)
Subject: JD 544H starter

Woodham, Ontario
A while ago I posted a thread on our 2003 John Deere 544H payloader making grinding noises when trying to start in the morning. With the colder weather it was getting worse. So I finally made the trip to the JD construction dealer to pick up a new 24V starter. It was completely different! Everything about it, the motor was offset, the terminals were in a different place and the gear itself was completely different. Bolt holes did line up and it works like a dream. I guess they figured out the old ones were no good.

After installing the new one, I took a closer look at the old one and noticed the gear does not move out the same as the new one does. The gear also looks very worn on the side where it engages. It had 3900 hours and gets started a couple times every day. Seems like the mechanism that should move the gear out is broken and the grinding noise was actually from the gears! There were some metal shavings between the housing and the cylinder that should slide.

Is it worth taking somewhere to see if it can be rebuilt/fixed? I already saved money by just putting on a new one myself instead of having a tech come out to take a look and replace it. With the amount we use it, we can't have it down much, so if the started is worth fixing I might keep it around as a spare.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)