AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Have you gotten rid of the "hard-wired" home phone?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Thud
Posted 3/6/2009 07:27 (#633532 - in reply to #633512)
Subject: Re: Have you gotten rid of the "hard-wired" home phone?

Near-north Ontario, French River
I just moved into a new construction home, no land line at all, just my cell. I'm single and always carry my cell on me so I see no point in paying another $25/month for a land line that I would rarely use. I have considered the issue of 911 though. "Here" if 911 is dialed from a landline the address is automatically displayed at the 911 dispatch center( I assume other places work the same??) .If 911 is dialed and no one answers the dispatcher then rescue services are automatically dispatched to that address. Cell phones work a bit different, they work fine for 911 calls but no location is displayed so the caller must be capable of giving an address, which is not always possible, that;s the biggest drawback of not having a land line at the house/farm. I have however read something in the past that in the near future all cell phones will be equiped with a gps type locator that rescue services/911 will be able to access in cases of emergency so the 911 issue appears to be being worked on. At the very least the telecoms are aware of the issue. Only other issue with not having a hardwired line is the inability to receive faxes, but as more and more people migrate to using email that issue is becoming less and less each day. In a nut shell.... have I regretted not installing a landline at home? No.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)