AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

When did Television starts in the USA?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Ed Winkle
Posted 2/28/2009 19:36 (#626781 - in reply to #626689)
Subject: Re: When did Television starts in the USA?

Martinsville, Ohio
http://irishcatholichumanist.blogspot.com/2009/02/bishop-sheens-tv-... I always liked that little known trivia...

1931 - July 21 CBS began regular TV broadcasting of 28 hours per week on W2XAB in NY

1923 - Charles F. Jenkins on June 14 made his first experimental wireless television transmissions with a mechanical system from the Navy radio station in Anacostia to his Jenkins Laboratories office in Washington D.C.; Vladimir K. Zworykin applied for a patent on his iconoscope cathode ray tube.

Nipkow disk 1925 from
Charles Francis Jenkins

Charles F. Jenkins 1925
from SI

1st AT&T TV demo by Hoover
1927 from AT&T

1st U.S. woman on TV
1927 from AT&T
1924 - John Logie Baird used a Nipkow disc to make experimental transmissions in London; he made his first public demonstration March 25, 1925, at the Selfridges department store on Oxford Street.

1925 - June 13 Jenkins made his "first public demonstration of radiovision" with 48 lines per inch and synchronized sound over a 5-mile distance from Anacostia to Washington DC to members of the Navy and Commerce Department. He would begin broadcasting on his first TV station W3xk five nights per week in July 1928.

1926 - In January, John Logie Baird in London made a second demonstration at the Selfridges department store on Oxford Street, and began operation of a 30-line TV system at 5 frames per second. Restoration.

1927 - Jan. 7 Philo T. Farnsworth applied for his patent on the image dissector tube that used cesium to reproduce images electronically. On April 7, AT&T transmitted a long distance television image of Herbert Hoover from its experimental station 3XN in Whippany NJ using a 185-line system developed by Herbert E. Ives; also, Edna Mae Horner, an operator at the Chesapeake and Potomac Telephone Company, assisted the transmission of Hoover and became the first woman to appear on U.S. television. On Sept. 7, Farnsworth transmitted his first successful electronic TV images in San Francisco.

1928 - May 11 GE began regular TV broadcasting with a 24-line system from a station that would become WGY in Schenectady NY; by the end of the year, over 15 stations were licensed for TV broadcasting; Dr. Ernest Alexanderson developed the Octagon mechanical TV set with three-inch screen that was manufactured and sold by GE for home use. In Germany, Denes von Mihaly demonstrated a mechanical 30-line system called Telehor with a picture rate of 10 frames per second at the Berlin Radio Show.

1929 - June 27 Herbert E. Ives demonstrated a mechanical color TV system of 50-lines from AT&T in NY to Washington DC; Zworykin demonstrated Nov. 18 his 120-line system of electronic television with its Kinescope tube at 24 frames per second.

1930 - July 30 NBC started its first TV station in NY called W2XBS

1931 - Manfred von Ardenne showed his "flying spot" cathode-ray tube at the Berlin Radio Show, inaugurating the development of electronic television in Germany that debuted at the Berlin Olympics in 1936.

I used to know this stuff like the back of my hand Matts. Spent my teen years in electronics, had a TV repair shop in the basement.

Our first TV was a Zenith black and white when I was real little in the 50's. I remember the old radios as a little guy before that in the old farm house where dad and grandpa listened to FDR and the like.

I remember my first GE transistor radio, too.

http://s206301103.websitehome.co.uk/howto2.htm

Ed

Ed

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)