AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

When did Television starts in the USA?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Illinois John
Posted 2/28/2009 19:03 (#626738 - in reply to #626689)
Subject: RE: When did Television starts in the USA?

Crawford County, Robinson, Illinois

Somebody will probably respond with exact dates later, but I will relate how TV came to our rural area.

I recall in 1952 going to a neighbor's house and watching a distant television station.  First one in our rural area, although my Uncle near St Louis Mo had a television in the early 1950's, and I did see it there.

It wasn't until 1955 that my Father got a television, put up a 40 foot tower and could receive very fuzzy and snowy picture, as we lived in low bottom land and needed an even higher antenna.

Around 1964, a few programs were broadcast in color, but not enough to buy a color TV, as they were very expensive.  My wife's Uncle got a color TV, and we would go 75 miles to their house to see the few color programs available.

I recall in 1966 or 1967 that many stations started broadcasting all in color, but I was teaching school at the time, and didn't think I could afford a color TV.

Dad bought a color TV around 1968 or 1969, after I was married and no longer living at home.  I do remember he paid $600 for it, and I could not imagine having that much money to spend on a TV.

We later bought a color TV around 1972, a 19" model.

My stepmother talks about watching TV in the late 1940's, it had a round picture tube that was very small and also had a very poor picture, very much "snow", as there were no close stations at that time.

We now have 5 TV's in our house, and one small portable battery powered model we use if there is a storm and no electricity. 

Times have changed.

If you really want some interesting history Matts, tell us when you got your first computer, and when you had Internet available.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)