AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Watched Black Blizzard (dust storms of the 30's) last night
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Ernie
Posted 2/27/2009 14:39 (#625157 - in reply to #624805)
Subject: Blew bad here in the 40's

North End I-15
I remember dirt up to 1/16" deep in the house after a storm . Mother would put wet towels over the windows to help keep out dirt . Happiest Day of her life was when We moved to town in later 40's . Had a house with "Storm windows" running water in a tap , not in pans all over the floor . flush toilet , an amazing tub that filled with hot water and drained it self , a lawn , trees , and electricity ! The list goes on . Oh , and we kids got to go to school every day :<(
Mother did have a chicken coop in the back yard , heated with NG . Big Garden with lots of water , boy was life good :>)

Up un till chem fallow came in to being , we could see dirt blowing off what is called the rim country . Looked like a giant water fall of dirt drifting over the edge . I saw that site a few years ago .

I believe it was Dutch that posted pictures of his blew out peanut crop that same year . He said when humidity drops to 10% and winds kick up over 20 MPH , Dirt blows .

Just so happened to have my Kestrel meter with me the day of the dirt water fall over the rim . It was 10% humidity and 30 MPH winds that day . Wish I had my camera along also .
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)