AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What would you do?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Ben
Posted 2/27/2009 05:14 (#624615 - in reply to #624510)
Subject: Re: What would you do?

North Mo.
Tell me about your electric fence. Is it a permanent fence or temp.? If temp. did you feed some grain or supp. right next to it to educate the cows. The reason I am asking we have a pasture we are strip grazing that two heifers will jump over the single polywire with trending plastic post, but the fence will remain hot because there is no steel involved thus the herd stays in. I personally saw this heifer jump one time she had her front legs over and had to be shocked 20 times before she backed up and then shocked a few more times with her front leg caught in the poly. I thought it was funny to watch her flinch figured that was the end of that, nope the next time I saw her she was in with the others the next time she was out and so it goes. She and her partner in crime are home raised to strip grazing so she has learned how to deal with the single wire hot strip fence. I hope I don't raise too many that smart or my MIG grazing will go to heck in a hand basket.
Most people will build a fence too low for cows obliviously my plastic post didn't hold the wire high enough for my heifer. I have calves that go under a 1 wire fence all the time but cows I have never seen go under even a 4 foot high wire. I am not advising a 1 wire fence that high.
Ben
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)