AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Why do you Farm?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

joe
Posted 2/26/2009 08:33 (#623458 - in reply to #623288)
Subject: RE: Why do you Farm?

I truely enjoy it. It was the only thing I really ever did with my Dad and I always marveled at what he could accomplish with what he had. Part of that was his generation and I'm grateful to have learned from someone like him. I don't have livestock, but Dad milked for many years when I was younger and I had the chance to experience that also. Those with livestock have my respect. Growing up I've always had an off farm job and as farming has evolved for me it has kept me diversified. I have turned down enough ground to have been full time many times but liked not having my eggs in one basket so to speak. We are all different in this respect. I have a lot of folks wonder why I come home and do this after work and its kind of hard for them to understand. People who post here understand. After 35 years in my current off farm job I am a manager of people. Most are guys that farm also or who have grown up on a farm and for the most part I'm blessed to have them. But when I come home in the evening and get out on the land, turn off the cell phone, maybe watch a couple of deer walk out of the woods, this is my heaven. Sure somedays things break down, but again I had a Dad that taught me how to repair most things, and its just another part of it I can enjoy as an acomplishment. I can't wait until retirement to be "full time". My Dad harvested his last crop at 79 and died of cancer before turning 80. I have no desire to retire and do anything else and if I can be as lucky as Dad was I'll be happy. I'm not sure there are any simple answers to this question but I think all who post here wether large or small "know why".
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)