AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
Search Forums | Classifieds (62) | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Michigan Farm license plate question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format
Posted 10/26/2006 00:21 (#55203 - in reply to #55175)
Subject: Re: Michigan Farm license plate question

I pulled a portion of a guide that I have.

Registration Requirements:

Farm Plates
Farm plates must be used exclusively in connection with the farm or for the transportation of the farmer and the farmer's family (MVC 257.801(c)). The Farm plate may not be used for hire. A farmer may loan his farm-plated vehicle to another farmer for use in that farmer’s farming operation, and not used for hire. A farm plate may be used by a farmer hauling livestock or farm equipment for other farmers for remuneration in kind or in labor, but not for money. Generally speaking, for registration and license purposes, Christmas tree growing operations are farms.

Log Plates
Log plates must be used exclusively in connection with logging operation (MVC 257.801(d)). A “wood harvester” includes a person(s) hauling and transporting raw materials in the form produced at the harvest site. A wood harvester may transport logging equipment on a log plate. A log plate may be used for for-hire operations. “Wood harvesting” does not include the transportation of processed lumber, Christmas trees, or processed firewood for a profit-making venture.

Milk Plates
Milk plates must be used exclusively to haul milk from the farm to the first point of delivery (MVC 257.801(d)). Milk plates may be used for for-hire operations.

Special Farm Plates
Special Farm Plates must be used exclusively for:
?? The purpose of gratuitously transporting farm crops or livestock bedding (straw, sawdust, or sand) between the field where produced and the place of storage;
?? Feed (hay or silage) from on-farm storage to an on-farm feeding site; or fertilizer, seed or spray material from the farm location to the field.
?? These plates may also be used for transporting crops from the field to a grain elevator (SOS ruling).
These plates cannot be used in transportation for hire (“custom harvesting work”) or to transport general supplies.

Other Registration Requirements
Unless using a farm plate, the following commercial motor vehicles must have Elected Gross Vehicle Weight (EGVW) plates:
?? Trucks over 8,000 lbs. (empty);
?? Pickup trucks over 5,000 lbs. registered weight towing a trailer of any size;
?? Trucks of any size pulling a trailer of any size;
?? Road tractors and truck tractors.

Hope this helps. Gene

Edited by MidMiGene 10/26/2006 00:26
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)