AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Well,that works nice.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Jon Hagen
Posted 10/25/2006 23:25 (#55171)
Subject: Well,that works nice.

Hagen Brothers farms,Goodrich ND
Got to use one of my EZGuide plus units with the new 4.0 firmware while broadcasting Treflan granules today. The new mapping firmware works good with a standard AB pattern to now show a map of area covered and display acres covered without the need for a "boom switch". A lot of our land is prairie pothole country with sometimes a half dozen or more potholes on an 80 acre field The map alerts you if you forgot to do the backside of one of those potholes,and the acre counter tells when it is time to check the level in the granule box, plus field size.
All of our land is laid out in even east-west North-south fields so to save time I store a pair of north-south and East-west AB lines at the start of the season ,so when I pull into a new field I can save time by just setting a new A+ line off one of the stored NS-EW lines for quick setup. I leave the headlands warning turned off so that is never a problem with different length fields

With the old 3.10 software I had to store two EW lines ,as I would reach the distance limit where I could not access the same EW line from the north and south ends of our land. The new 4.0 firmware allows me to set the distance high enough so I can access the one line from any part of our land. Good deal Trimble,it gets better with each update. :)

Earlier I posted a question asking for advice on a cheap GPS unit to carry in the combine or seeding tractor to mark the location of rocks for later picking in our tall standing straw.
Of the 2-3 units you guys suggested,one was out of production,one was a bit too much money,but the Garmin Etrix Legend was in my price range with the features I wanted.
With it mounted in the combine cab near a window,it is accurate within 10-20 ft and setting one of 500 possible "way points" is a simple , touch only, without taking eyes off the job, 2 second push of the only button on the top of the device. looks like it should work for the rock picking job, and also makes a great accurate little speedometer and compass.

Edited by Jon Hagen 10/25/2006 23:26
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)