AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Learned a neat fact last night.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

mcline
Posted 2/23/2009 10:26 (#619686)
Subject: Learned a neat fact last night.

Ladoga, IN, United States, North America, Earth
I had a couple of outlets just quit working in my house. I go and get my trusty fluke multimeter and start the task as to finding out whats wrong. Each outlet is at different ends of the house. After doing some investigating they were tied into a GFI outlet in my master bathroom. I reset it and go back out with my multimeter to test them. Put my meter on continuity test, and hear a real short brief beep then nothing. Go back and hit the reset button, and go to the other outlet, did the same thing, short beep and then nothing.

I might add, that it was late, and I had been sick all day, so not thinking the clearest.

I have now decided a mouse or something has chewed through some wires somewhere. I head into the attic and start chasing wires. After a good half-hour of not finding anything, I get out of the attic and reset it again. Just by happen of chance I had left my multimeter on Volt test, and I had 121 V. I thought, good deal, but why all of a sudden is it working, I didn't do anything to fix it. Then it dawned on me, I flip my multimeter back to continuity, and sure enough it tripped the GFI circuit. I was a very unhappy camper with myself after I figured out that I was the cause of the problem.

Strike another one up on the experience line.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)