AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

garmin, which model?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Hay Wilson in TX
Posted 2/24/2009 08:58 (#620900 - in reply to #619342)
Subject: Oh how I agonized on this very subject.

Little River, TX
Well maybe not agonized but I have looked at and printed off a number of the owners manuals for different models.
I have been using a nuvi 200 for over a year now. Made one trip to Kentucky, then to NE corner of Florida, and a trip to South Louisiana, things went reasonably well.
According to Garmin their old technology is supposed to be accurate to 45' & I have measured it off by 50 feet. Other times it has shown me to be on a road that was 300 feet away and had a major barrior between me and that road. Moral of the story is do not throw away your maps, they will come in handy.
Their 350 & 660 machines have WAAS and claim 15 feet or better accuracy.
In Air Force jargon, do not neglect your mission planning or preflight activities. They all bet their maps from commercial map companies. They may tend to route you on two sides of a triangle to stay on an interstate. If that is the case plug in a "via point" that is along the preferred routing. This is even true with shortest distance routing preferred.
As for back tracking, I have simply used an entry point as a via point when want to get back out of dodge.
Yes it would be nice to have up to 10 routs in the can. and up to 1000 via points set into the system. It would be nice to know several miles in advance which lane we need to be on to follow the desired route, or get to the Chicken Fried Golden Lobster restaurant. Supposedly there is a magic chip that can be plugged in that knows about all the best places to eat or sleep.

I first was looking at a nuvi 350 for the WAAS capability. Ed Boysun provided some good words about his nuvi 660. I really like some of the features of the nuvi 7X5 series. End result is I am staying with the little nuvi 200, unless someone uses their money to provide the upgrade. Probably will keep the 200 as a backup in any case.
Slick little tool with a perverse since of humor! You know how much I like my humor on the perverse side.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)