AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

garmin, which model?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

movit
Posted 2/23/2009 11:29 (#619747 - in reply to #619650)
Subject: Re: garmin, which model?

NC Iowa
I doubt you'll get a consensus-like figuring out the best car...I personally have a Garmin Nuvi 660. Really like the ease of touch screen. Also like the blue-tooth phone patch. You can talk , dial etc. through the unit. Quit using that feature because I almost always have riders along or the farmer-customer standing there so the chance of something being said to offend somebody or at least embarrass me was too great.. If you are alone in your car 'tis a great feature. And, if you are within about 30' of the GPS and your phone rings, you can't just answer your phone-you gotta run and answer from the GPS. I'm sure the Blue-tooth could be disabled, but hey, 3 rings and the voice mail kicks in-I used up 2 digging it out of my pocket already.. You get out of range, you can answer your phone like normal.

I got the 660 to replace a Garmin Street Pilot 111-old school stuff..But, the Streetpilot has a feature I really need- Trac-bac..My business involves lots of gravel back roads. So, I be king geek, I got both of these jobbies pasted to the windshield...There must be something about the Streetpilot that is popular as I equip my other trucks with this one and it just plain costs about $170 for a used one on ebay- I think it's expensive for old tech, but I gotta have Trac-bac..

Maybe some other brand is perfect, but I estimate the routing is 90 % accurate- sometimes Jerry (Nuvi) gets called an idiot.. So these are tools, not THE replacement for maps..

Holly (Streetpilot) is the same map system.. Looks like other folks name their little helper, too..

When I was setting up the Nuvi, I thought the British accent woman voice was the way to go..After much aggravation-, I called tech support. If I remember right, you get British talker, they figure you are in England, you get kilometers and no way to change it...Not in manual... Now, plain ol' dictionary Jerry...

I'd say the more major the road, the more accurate the unit...
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)