AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

E15 & E85
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

HuskerJ
Posted 7/12/2019 21:49 (#7611433 - in reply to #7611156)
Subject: RE: E15 & E85

East of Broken Bow
I have run the numbers again and again and again, and for me, the most economical fuel, is e-20 or e-30 depending on the price. I have such little MPG loss using e-20 that any difference between regular is a rounding error, and about 1/3 of the time, it actually does better.

Also, there is more to MPGs than simply the btus of the fuel. Many modern engines have preignition detectors, and will vary the ignition timing (and some even the valve timing) if a 'knock' is detected. Ethanol works very well to reduce the knock, allowing the timing to be set for better performance and/or economy.

I know everything is local, but we literally have an ethanol plant a few miles from our local blender pump, and routinely save 20-30 cents using e-20 or e-30. If e-20 is 20 cents cheaper, and gives me 99% of the mpgs, it is a no-brainer. I use it on anything non-flex fuel, and in our flex-fuel vehicle, we use e-30 or e-85, depending on price. If e-86 is 15% cheaper than regular, it is more economical to burn. If e-30 is within a couple cents, I use it, as we lose right at 1 mpg using that.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)