AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

No-tilling peas and oats in sod?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

habermak
Posted 7/12/2019 12:51 (#7610693 - in reply to #7610205)
Subject: RE: No-tilling peas and oats in sod?

Oregon
I have done that here into grass/clover/alfalfa sod. We baled, hit the sod with a quart of powermax and a good surfactant and no tilled oats/peas/barley, then irrigated. All in about a 24 hour window. We have been doing a lot of no-tilling last two years and one thing I would suggest is to pull a ring roller, or harrow, even if you have good press wheels. Seems that sod won’t close up very easily over the seed. I’ve also pulled a harrow behind the drill then went out with roller to make sure I had seed/soil contact. More so if I’m also broadcasting a forage brassica or something too. If there’s some green up right now, I’d spray and hammer down..days are getting shorter. You probably won’t control the clover but will suppress it enough to let the oats and peas take-off. Take it for what it’s worth, some guys on here would probably shake their head if they saw what I no-till into. I’m not a dyed in the wool no-tiller, I just HATE running tillage equipment in the middle of summer.

Edit: maybe leave a bit more stubble behind the swather so the burn down has increased surface area on the clover to work with.

Edited by habermak 7/12/2019 12:57
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)