AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

1990 Top Kick Caterpillar 3116
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

StxPecans
Posted 7/13/2019 00:44 (#7611648 - in reply to #7610848)
Subject: RE: 1990 Top Kick Caterpillar 3116

First thing I thought was compression in the fuel. Will literally run like ****.
I would pull oil filter and cut it open ND see what's in it just for pice of mind.

Ned to put a sight glass on fuel return line. I can garentee you will not be fixing it yourself if it is compression in the fuel system. Over complicated process I have done 100 times (not since 2011) and I would have to bust out the manual on that process lol. The tools needed are about 2500 bucks and it's almost an art as much as following instructions.

Should be about 8 hrs labor to remove rack and injectors and re-ream cup and reinstall injectors and set injectors reinstall rack and set the rack and fuel timing.

Add 2 hours to replace cups if required which is probably so. Have even had to pull a head or 2 due to cups not wanting to come out.

But first check fuel pressure, turbo, boost leaks, common stuff first. Then sight glass for compression. Then check injectors.
Black smoke could be afr rubber is blown.

As much as a pain those injector cups are I am surprised nobody ever came up with a stainless injctr cup setup for that engine...

Edited by StxPecans 7/13/2019 00:56
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)