AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

8v92 Detroit revisited
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Jon Hagen
Posted 7/13/2019 17:16 (#7612723 - in reply to #7611466)
Subject: RE: 8v92 Detroit revisited

Hagen Brothers farms,Goodrich ND
To every rule there is an exception ;-). When I repowered my old Versatile 125( an early 68 articulated 4 wd tractor), I used a late 60's Detroit diesel 6-71, an inline 6 cyl engine. when we rebuilt it, before installing it, we used DD's improved gaskets which are just a standard paper gasket with a tiny bead of silicone rubber on each side to help seal things. They worked well, the engine had no oil leaks, unpainted block head, pan got rusty with age.
The engine with fresh sleeves / pistons would still be well above the add 1 gallon mark at my normal 100 hr oil change. The nearest thing to a leak was the normal drool of partially burned diesel fuel from the air box drains when at a cold idle.
Years later I replaced the old Versatile with a new Steiger Cougar, powered by a L10 Cummins. The Cummins burned a gallon of oil per 40 hrs at best. I complained to Cummins about high oil consumption and they agreed to overhaul it. After the overhaul, the Cummins on its best behavior would use a gallon of oil by 50 hours. I never was happy at that, but was told that is just the nature of the beast.

Edited by Jon Hagen 7/13/2019 17:24
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)