AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

CCS planters w/boxes
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 7/12/2019 06:10 (#7610093 - in reply to #7609601)
Subject: RE: CCS planters w/boxes

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
My nephew bought a used 1770NT CCS and it has the the regular 1.7 bushel boxes on it. He didn't buy it specifically for that arrangement, it just happened to be setup that way. The seed hoses from the CCS tanks lead to a fitting on the front of each box. Within the boxes there is a piece of radiator like hose with an offset bend in it. This is clamped on the fitting with a hose clamp. The position of this hose dictates the amount of seed in each of the 1.7 bu boxes. The usual location is to mount it in the down position to allow only a small amount of seed in each box. The hose could be removed, rotated or shortened if a different amount is desired. Generally we have run it with the hoses in this position and just put the seed in the CCS tanks. In other words, our planter is used like it would if it had the mini hoppers.

There are a few others around our area. One neighbor doesn't use the CCS tanks for corn but uses them for soybeans, his motivation is weight distribution. Since our land centers around my yard, we bring the planter back to the yard for seed fill and use a belt conveyor to fill from ProBoxes in my shop.That way the seed does not need to hauled to the field and loaded there. We sold our troublesome seed tender. With most fields were are generally able to load enough seed for the field. We use starter fertilizer and spray with the planter so it works out quite well to fill those products in the yard as well. Generally we need to refill those products with tenders to complete a field.

There have been times when we planted commercial sweet corn where the seed came in small sacks and we just dumped it into the row boxes. The boxes have been used for seed trials on a limited basis.

In an effort to "split the difference" on the weight situation, I used some short hoses in each box rather than the hoses Deere had provided. This allowed each row box to run about half full for the majority of the time until the CCS tanks ran empty. My thought was that I would then carry less seed in the CCS boxes thus reducing the weight there but still have an "average" weight on each row for corn.

The next year I installed some weigh bars in an attempt to monitor the down force on some of the rows. This is monitored but not controlled by my Ag Leader InCommand 1200. We are using very conventional tillage. The readings on the weigh bars seemed excessive even with the auxiliary springs disengaged. It occurred to me that this weight was due to the weight of the row cleaners, the conventional tillage and the amount of the seed within the boxes so I reinstalled the original Deere hoses in the boxes so each box holds less seed again. My readings are still quite high. I am thinking I may actually need supplemental Up force rather than down force but haven't done anything different.

Edited by tedbear 7/12/2019 06:14
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)