AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

hay cutting options.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Seth_ia
Posted 7/11/2019 22:34 (#7609881 - in reply to #7609464)
Subject: RE: hay cutting options.

Cutting alfalfa with out a conditioner works sometimes...maybe 50%to75% of the time when I have tried it. If you go that route commit to getting a good tedder up front. I have a Hesston Discbine and a NH disc mower. Each has their own place in my opinion. It's kind of like a claw hammer vs a sledge hammer...I have both in the shop because they have different purposes. Waterways are so easy to mow with the disc mower because you can backup and turn quick. I was cutting one today and buried the tractor to the wheel weights...No problem I was out with a quick pull. Had I had the discbine it would have been a big ordeal to get dug out. On the other hand I really hate dragging a tedder over every acre, so the discbine is the first chose on alfalfa.

I bought a drum mower to mow water ways with once...What a sorry patent. They work great in short hay. Getting into something like 5ft tall reed canary and you'll burn up belts all day long. The long stringy crops seem to like to wrap on dum mowers because they are by design top drive.

That 8309 looks like a New Idea discbine to me. Some people swear by them, others swear at them. Understand what your buying up front. They have a poor conditioning roll design IMHO. The New Idea cutter bar I had a number of years ago used a square drive shaft. It's no where near as heavy as the shafts New Holland uses. I broke a couple of them on the machine I had with very careful use. I've never broken a New Holland shaft and mowed through hell and back with my New Holland mower. Individual gear boxes are a pain to check oil in no matter the brand. I really the like the Hesston oil filled bar for that reason.

Me personally I would go back to a late model hydroswing sickle type moco before I'd cut all may alfalfa with a straight disc mower or drum mower

Edited by Seth_ia 7/11/2019 22:38
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)