AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Safety rope for submersible pump?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

kipps
Posted 7/11/2019 12:04 (#7608752 - in reply to #7608711)
Subject: RE: Safety rope for submersible pump?

Madison Co. Virginia
Never seen the kinking. Most pumps here are 3/4 and 1 horse. Torsional stresses would be absorbed by the full length of the pipe, and thus shouldn't be concentrated in one spot. The pump shouldn't have any room to swing sideways if contained within a typical 8 inch casing.

Biggest problem with the motor torque that I've had, is the whiplash in the pipe. A neighbor had a pump that was 350' down the hole. During the time he lived there, we had the thing out six times in as many years. He would cheap out, and refuse to put pipe spacers on any more than every 30 feet. I put new wire on at one point, and exactly a year later, it had rubbed completely through the wire. The pressure tank was also waterlogged, which didn't help things any. That pump was a bear to pull. It took four people minimum, two at the well head swapping off on the lifting, and the other two or three carrying the pipe away.

Another well nearby was sleeved with pvc liner the whole way down for unknown reasons. This well has a bad problem with iron-infused mud, so it's possible the well drillers saw that, and were trying to prevent a wall collapse. When we pulled this pump after 13 years, we found no spacers, and no wear on the wire or pipe. Evidently, the wear is caused mostly by the whipping of the pipe against the rough rock walls. PVC walls were smooth enough to eliminate the wear. While not very deep(120 feet), this one was one of the hardest pulls ever. The pipe was coated in that red slime, and it was all I could do to keep a grip on the pipe. Afterward, I found I pain in parts of my hands that I didn't know muscles even existed.

Another interesting wear issue, was a well that had completely intact wire, except for one v-shaped notch carved through the wire. I assume a chunk of rock came dislodged, and is pointing at that spot of the wire. I installed a torque arrestor boot over that spot to keep it away from the sharp rock.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)