AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hired Help Questions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

leeave96
Posted 7/10/2019 11:43 (#7606899)
Subject: Hired Help Questions

Central Western VA Mountains
We’ve had a great year haying (square bales). Doing a little planning for next year and will talk to our accountant and insurance agent (already have a farm policy in place) - but wanted to ping you folks with a few hired help questions.

Where I think I’ll need some help next year is running a tedder, take and unloading/stacking square bales, maybe helping load out some customers.

We are not very big, so the hours worked by any hired help would be limited, but when I need additional manpower, I need it. I suppose I could slip come cash to whomever helps, but I’d prefer to work in the open and compliant with whatever law/rules/guidelines apply.

Work would be paid piece meal - X number of dollars for each chore vs an hourly rate, ie unload and stack from a kicker wagon equals X dollars, etc.

I think my hired help labor per man would be less $600 per haying season and I’m thinking there are some benefits of that, ie 1099 forms, I’ll be asking for tax guidance from our accountant.

Question is - when advance planning for 2020 labor, what should I be mindful of and prepared for as I begin to hire help to expand our haying and fill the place of my (free labor) kids who are growing up and away from the farm.

Any ideas on compensation? I want to be fair and tipping the scale somewhat on the generous side vs squeezing my help like a Scrooge.

Any sage advice is much appreciated.

Thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)