AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Heifers
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

StxPecans
Posted 7/9/2019 00:12 (#7604419)
Subject: Heifers

Last year I put some heifers together from our own herds and some outside. Wanted to start putting another group of 20-50 together.
Had a bull problem, had an old oldherferd bull that had been our go-to bull for heifers. Tested good at the vet so let him go one more time. Well he didn't seem to be working so we introduced a young bull that is the son of the old bull but untested as we didn't have any bulls of known small birthright (known from seeing calves)

Well after putting young bull in with old bull somthing happened and came back some 6 month bred and a bunch of opens. Moved old bull to auction and added another young bull and now have calves out of him and he has small calves. Moved the bred heifers out to herd to calve with all the cows. This was almost 2 months ago. How long before I should palpate agian?

Guess I need to get then palpated agian in a month or 2.
If I have a bunch of opens should I just let them out to pasture where low birthweight bulls are with cows? Need to get on to the next group of heifers.

Edit to add

Also dad says he thinks some of the heifers out of one of his herds seem to be hard to breed. Never closely watch his not sure if he is full of it or not. But I took a few first calf cows that he said came out of that herd and he said he had a bull on them forever as heifers and he wanted no part of them. Well I took those cows and they are some of my best cows. That herd sure produces some pretty heifers. Is it possible some of them are slow to get fertile?

Edited by StxPecans 7/9/2019 00:23
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)