AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Strainer Placement Ahead of Flow Meter
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 7/9/2019 08:42 (#7604791 - in reply to #7603962)
Subject: RE: Strainer Placement Ahead of Flow Meter

Southern Minnesota Between Freeborn & Wells
I worked as a Tech in a shop that sold LOTS of systems using flow meters. The above recommendations are correct but we broke the rule on many installations. The idea of the straight pipe is to reduce turbulence going into the flow meter and is a good idea. This is usually not very practical due to space limitations.

On my own personal sprayer, I have a large strainer right before the flowmeter. Here's my flow path: the output from my centrifugal pump goes to a tee which has a branch leading back to the tanks for agitation with hand valves in those lines. The main portion of the Tee leads through a large hose to a large strainer which is 4"ahead of a Raven RFM-60P flow meter. I use the Banjo flange fittings which are quite large between the strainer, flow meter, control valve and section valves.

I have a very similar arrangement on my planter with a RFM-15P flow meter for applying pre emergent spray. Both systems work well. I rarely need to clean the strainers.

One thing that helps is to have a good water source. I have strainers on all my transfer pumps as well.

Edited by tedbear 7/11/2019 07:25
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)