AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

pie maker question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

RDinMN
Posted 7/4/2019 16:15 (#7597344 - in reply to #7594526)
Subject: RE: pie maker question

Southwestern Minnesota
Homemade pie crust is great, but I'm with you, sometimes you just want to have something easier than bringing out the rolling pin and making all that mess. I've had my share of variation from store-bought unroll and use crusts and have learned a few things:
The fresher the crust the better the quality. Look at the "best by" date and find one that is out a ways. Many times if they're on sale they are almost out of their peak use time and they tend to be sticky.
As pie crusts go, the name brands (Pillsbury) tend to be a better quality than the store brand. I will pay a little more for the name brand and usually get better results.
I try not to put them in the freezer. This tends to dry them out and then when you take them out they get real sticky. I try to not buy them in bulk but if I do buy more than I can use right away, I keep them in the refrigerator.
When you take them out of the refrigerator to use, don't let them sit out too long before you unroll them because as they warm up the moisture makes them get sticky.
I've had good luck with the unroll and bake crusts and not so good. Name brand, not too old to almost be past the best by date and keep in the refrigerator and use up soon seem to be tricks that work for me.
One crust pies usually need to be pre-baked before a filling is added to them. If you're making a two crust pie, start them in a hot oven (425 degrees) for about 10 minutes then turn it down to 350 degrees. This helps bake and set the crust so it doesn't get soggy.
I don't have anything to offer regarding rhubarb. I don't really care for that!

Edited by RDinMN 7/4/2019 21:34
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)