AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

truck fifth wheel raising??
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Allis4ever
Posted 6/25/2019 21:39 (#7581887)
Subject: truck fifth wheel raising??

central iowa
Put fenders on the semi, and now need to raise the fifth wheel at least 4 inches to get back some of the clearance we lost.

Do they make taller fifth wheel plates for for most all fifth wheels??? Or do we put spacers between the frame and the hitch? The hitch only has one notch left to tighten it on the king pin, so it isn't a total loss if we have to buy a new taller plate (yes i know we could rebuild this one).

My firs thought was to put 3 to 4 inches of aluminum under the rails of the sliding plate, but then thought about sandwiching a thick aluminum plate between two steel plates, obviously longer bolts and go from there, but not sure how that would be looked at by the DOT,. Seems like it shouldn't be any big deal, but looking for opinions.

Here are a couple pix showing what we are dealing with. We had approx 6" clearance before fenders, now only have 2", would like to gain back at least 3" to keep pretty safe in most any situation and do not really want to use steel for the entire spacer (if i go that route) since that would add a lot of weight.

Let me know what you guys think

(IMG_4296 (full).jpg)

(IMG_4295 (full).jpg)

(IMG_4294 (full).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_4296 (full).jpg (151KB - 26 downloads)
Attachments IMG_4295 (full).jpg (111KB - 28 downloads)
Attachments IMG_4294 (full).jpg (178KB - 22 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)