AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wheat field turned hay field. Only took rain! Video
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

dabeegmon
Posted 6/23/2019 05:53 (#7576051 - in reply to #7575830)
Subject: RE: Wheat field turned hay field. Only took rain! Video

SE Manitoba
dieselfume1 - 6/22/2019 21:52

Took this video a few days ago of a Wheatfield that we acquired from our neighbor a few years back.
https://youtu.be/2S9y5Yn0mAU

The first year we tried to plant in 2016 it failed because of drought, we replanted in 2017 just to watch another failure with a dryer year. Instead of going through an expensive replant process for a third time, we no tilled more grass seed and winter wheat crop the fall of 17 just to watch the willow creek winter wheat winter kill. And another dry spring. At that point we had some grass coming but nothing very good, there was as much Canada thistle growing as there was established grass.. Decided to leave it and see what it look like this spring. The results have been miraculous. There is grass seed coming up in rows from our no till drill that was planted in Fall of 17. That had laid dormant until now. The grass that is established acted as a cover for the new emerging grass and Alfalfa that was not there prior and that had been planted two years earlier. At this point I think the tonnage off of this field will rival are other established hay fields. All it took was rain! Sure glad we didn't farm it up a 3rd time!

Alfalfa was never planted with a drill, just broadcasted ahead of the drill at about 3 lb per acre. The first drill pass we made with grass seed in 2017 was about 10 lb, followed by 7 lb. Fall after that crop had a poor germination.

Moral of the story for myself is, to not underestimate the power of rain. I had no idea that seed would lay dormant that long waiting on the right conditions.

Not necessarily true for everywhere but some of the seeds found in the pyramids were viable. (Not exactly 'normal' conditions but a whole pile longer than a few years.)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)