AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

GreenFreestalls?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

kipps
Posted 6/21/2019 13:50 (#7572964 - in reply to #7572857)
Subject: RE: GreenFreestalls?

Madison Co. Virginia
S Frisch - 6/21/2019 13:54

The price of free stall loops has always been crazy in my opinion. A few years ago I saw in a dairy magazine where a guy used a single 2x10 board, rounded at the rear. U bolted the neck rail on. Seems like a good easy cheap alternative.

Shoot, if you're doing that, I wouldn't worry about a metal neckrail. Nail a 2x4 to the top of the 2x10. Strong enough, and easy to adjust. I'd be more skeptical of getting the 2x10 mounted solidly enough to a post to handle the stresses. Obviously, it would work best in a head-to-head stall, with a single 2x10 spanning both stalls. I still think you'd be shearing lag bolts and breaking boards on a regular basis.

Personally, if I was in a position to build a freestall barn, I wouldn't consider new. You basically have your pick of abandoned barns that have a full matching set of hoops in good shape. Put out an advertisement within a day's driving distance, saying "$35 if you pull, $15 if I pull. Text me the dimensions and number you have available." I'd bet you get results. Edit to Add: If they pull the stalls, be sure to specify that they include every bracket and the majority of the bolts. No sense paying twice.

Edited by kipps 6/21/2019 15:27
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)