AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

86 day corn question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Beers on ME
Posted 6/19/2019 10:23 (#7568252 - in reply to #7568029)
Subject: RE: 86 day corn question

being you are a first time corn grower, you are thinking you want to get the corn dry before you combine, but I hate when corn gets that dry to combine. Corn heads work much better at cutting 20%+, not saying that you will have problems cutting drier corn but you will have lots of head loss and the bushels saved combining wetter corn more than pays for shrink and drying. Not sure what you are doing with your corn once combined, but if you have air bins, 18-20% is no problem, if no air that won't work. Your elevator may or may not take wet corn depending what they have for facility's, but if they take it wetter don't be afraid to start cutting as soon as the moisture reaches the level that they will take.

Not only will your header loose more grain, but once the corn is that dry, the plant is basically dead and a strong storm with high winds will really do damage and you will see plants fall over and loose whole ears of corn. last year I had a few fields miss July rains, and corn really fell apart, when I combined it it made around 100 bu. in the combine, but I know there was at least 30 bu. on the ground, this was 14% moisture corn that was also drought stressed (which made it worse) but I didn't get to it quick enough because I was working on 10% moisture beans.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)