AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sheep
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

born_in_ad1
Posted 6/19/2019 07:40 (#7567960 - in reply to #7567381)
Subject: RE: Sheep

ESW ND
I could find a lot better ways to lose my money. I say start out with 200 right off the bat. That way they get the full dose of EVERYTHING the sheep have to offer. Instead of wasting time for the next 25 years trying to build up the herd to that number. You will never have enough barn space, never have enough panels, gates, water troughs, time, energy, patience hair, money. You will bang your head against the wall trying to build those numbers slowly. Always seems to be a couple steps behind. 200 ewes ain't gonna provide a living unless they made one heck of a pile of money from their previous jobs. My wife would love to quit her job. We'd have to drylot(lack of pasture and huge coyote pressure) 300 head of ewes. If you've never had sheep, you definitely DON'T know what you are in for, if you had or have sheep, you know what 300 head would take. Our sheep benefited from our cows, NOT the other way around. Sheep are a huge "location" thing. You need to be close to a large population if you want to special market them. Shearers around here don't like shearing under 100 head. We have to drive too far for good salebarn markets and at that you better have numbers to make it worth the drive.
I will argue that sheep make more money than cattle.
After 25 years of sheep, it will be a year ago in July that we sold ours. The 3 of us have never felt more alive and energized. Sheep drug you down to their level and they kept you there with their sharp little hooves.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)