AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sheep
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

dabeegmon
Posted 6/18/2019 17:47 (#7566845 - in reply to #7566812)
Subject: RE: Sheep

SE Manitoba
rtng - 6/18/2019 17:20

Hi guys... I am a field crop farmer, grew up that way and am surviving that way, having worked off farm for 30 yrs of course. Now my son in law (along with my daughter and two little grand daughters) is considering easing out of his good solid fulltime job to break into sheep farming.He has researched and studied, and on paper he has it all figured out that they can make a living with 200 ewes. Sheep farming is very sparse here in sw Ontario, and as far as I know still dwindling. There must be a reason for this. I hate to burst their bubble but I cant see the future in it. Any comments/ insight would be appreciated. (sorry for the "book" but this is a concern to us) Thanks Edit to add.. they have no history with livestock,nor do they have a landbase to work with.

Hoo boy - - - - depends upon ground availability and amount of desire.
With excellent pasture feed and management I would think that a living can be made but I'm thinking you might need more than 200 ewes.
You would also want to work up to that number.
Would suggest starting with 10 or 15 decent quality ewe lambs from a reputable person and a good ram lamb (excellent number here please) and then you start.
Its not hard but its not easy either. As to making a living - - - well if you can handle the work - - - maybe!

Just noticed the no land base part - - - they would need good facilities and access to great feed and someplace to get rid of manure. The last isn't an issue for 10 to 25 but at a couple 3 hundred someone will require them to have at least agreements.
You aren't too far from Cookstown so marketing is less of an issue for you than here in western Canada but they a decent pickup and trailer would still be needed.

Not saying it can't be done and not saying its a walk in the park either.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)