AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

1993 memories?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

carlsoncl
Posted 6/16/2019 13:39 (#7562440 - in reply to #7562109)
Subject: RE: 1993 memories?

Beresford, SD
1993 was the first year I farmed, graduated HS in 1994. No pp then, had to plant to get ins. Coverage from FSA... dad rented neighbors 2+2 (our 1486 was continuously getting stuck, or broke down....boll gear went.) and field cultivator, coop air seeded on beans. I rigged up an old straight disc behind our 4020....get stuck pull pin, 20 foot log chain permanently hooked....hammer down. Went at it till the 4th of July, most acres were beans as it was too late for corn. Stupidity! Beans made like 16 BPA. Oh yeah, 1993 was the year I rolled our other 1486.....was cultivating corn. Folded up and headed for home.....culvert gave out and next thing I knew my great Aunt was slapping me in the face trying to get me to come to. Tractor and I were both fortunate. Our wetness in 1993 started fall of 1992, much like this year, 95,97 and 99 were also all wet springs here. 2000 the plastic pipe started going in, in a big way.......all that pipe and Mother Nature still got the upper hand again this year. Fighting mud in the field is a minor infraction in comparison to feeding cattle in a wet year like now or 1993. I’ve invested in concrete over the years....back in 93 dad had 900 head of feeders and not a lot of concrete....by fall his 5 acre lot turned in 50 acres as we’d just move the hot wire further out in the field after the cattle mucked up what area they had. Oh the joys, but 1994 came and we had a great crop, 95 was wet again then 1996 was the first crop we had an entire farm do over 200 bpa. We were do for a short one here as every year since 2012 has been a whopper!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)