AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How far is too far to road a tractor home? (600 mile)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

central va farmer
Posted 6/17/2019 07:57 (#7563970 - in reply to #7563893)
Subject: RE: How far is too far to road a tractor home? (600 mile)

Virginia
Here is a funny story. We used to have a new holland 654 round baler. Always pulled it with a 8600 ford. I think this happened in 2010. We had about 40 acres raked and i was baling when clutch on 8600 went out. We had put a deposit on a tractor in far west Kentucky (700/800 miles from home) at the time. The clutch went out on a Thursday evening. All other tractors were out in field doing other things. I had bright idea to go to Kentucky get new tractor come back throw in baler moniter and finish baling hay. Dad said I was nuts, I said stay home then. It was too late in day and bank had closed but Kentucky is a hr behind us, so dealer was still open. I called and explained my plan, and bank was closed. I didnt want to wait till morning so would they take my check? They said sure, we'll see you tomorrow. So loaded up gooseneck, spare tires, jacks, chains, binders, Dad, and dip**** cousin in 05 duramax and we hit road at midnight.
Friday mid morning were in kentucky, check out tractor, get loaded, fuel up truck and us and leave friday afternoon. On way home dip**** cousins father calls and says were having a bad storm. Wife calls and says same thing. News said we had a duratio. If you dont know what that is its a hell of a wind storm.
I didnt know either. So thankfully we were behind it and followed duratio all the way home. We get home at daylight Saturday morning. We go make sure turkey houses are still standing, and dammit all, they were fine.... then unload tractor, hook up moniter in cab, hook to baler and go to field late morning on saturday. We get to field and the hay is gone. Its like someone baled it and hauled it away. The duratio was so severe it blew the windrows away. Where dad had stopped raking the hay was fine, but all the windrows were gone. So i hadnt had sleep since Wednesday night, Dad and dip**** cousin slept all the way out and back, and our hay was blown a state away, i went home and got ready for my sister in laws wedding, then finally that night i got some sleep. Whoever heard of hay blowing away....
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)