AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anybody want a 60 year old, 28.5 # paper weight?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Bruce NW Ia
Posted 6/13/2019 17:57 (#7557309)
Subject: Anybody want a 60 year old, 28.5 # paper weight?

Cherokee County, Northwest Iowa
I have been cleaning out buildings this spring, preparing for retirement machinery auction, plus we have sold the building site. My late father moved onto this rented farm after he returned from WW II. So in round numbers, between him and me, about 72 years worth of homemade gizmos that didn't work as well as expected, used pulleys, belts, bearings, gear boxes, etc. -"Just in case we might need them later". Has been quite an experience, just finished up today with the initial sweep thru everything, pretty much have everything delegated to one of 4 piles: Junk iron, Landfill, Auction, and Bruce is keeping it.

I knew that this chain saw was in the shop under a bench in the corner, and it hasn't been moved since 1988 (probably 10-15 years before that even). In August, 1959, we had a tornado go thru the farmstead, took half the buildings and alot of trees. (Dad stood at the kitchen window and watched the buildings fly by. Mom always said that it didn't really sink in to Dad what had happened until he sat down for a lunch break mid morning with friends and neighbors, and then it dawned on him at once how dangerous it had been.) The house remained undamaged, since the previous house had been blown away by a tornado (sure wish I knew a time line here), so this house was rebuilt with brick walls for the first floor.

So Dad must have went to Sears, and bought this 20" David Bradley chain saw. I can remember as a kid watching him run that brute-every so often you were supposed to oil the chain by pumping up and down on the plunger on top. Blue smoke would fill the air. I even found the operator's manual today in the filing cabinet. Almost 60 years old.

Am I foolish for feeling guilty about what to do with this thing? I did pull the rope and the motor turned, I assumed that it would have been rusted shut years ago.

(0613191111c (full).jpg)

(0613191111 (full).jpg)

(0613191111a (full).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 0613191111c (full).jpg (78KB - 100 downloads)
Attachments 0613191111 (full).jpg (83KB - 96 downloads)
Attachments 0613191111a (full).jpg (79KB - 99 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)