AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What is a postive air meter in white planters
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

berggrenfarms
Posted 6/13/2019 09:31 (#7556708 - in reply to #7556360)
Subject: RE: What is a postive air meter in white planters

Nebraska, The land of corn and cattle

Kooiker - 6/13/2019 06:48

thefarmers - 6/13/2019 06:05
Kooiker - 6/12/2019 23:23

The meters are very accurate IF you have round seed.   The stock White meter with either the small or medium plate will plant round seed at 99%+ all day every day.    We plant almost 100% of our seed with the medium plates.

Whites don't like Flat seed. Basically you end up having to pick your poison.   One notch on the air pressure adjustment will make it go from having skips to having doubles.   I usually chose to have 3-5% doubles instead of 3-5% skips.

As far as the 3/4" drive shaft and the cotter pins in the couplers, White meters turn very easily compared to a finger pickup meter, if you have trouble shearing the cotter pins, you have something binding up somewhere.  Probably a bad bearing. 

The cotter pins are the shear pins, they are supposed to shear instead of tearing something apart.

3-5% doubles or skips.......or did you mean .3-.5%. I’d think 3-5% would be terrible. Our jd with promax 40 setup will usually run no more an .1-.2 on skips and doubles when you get the vac dialed in.

Picking between 3% skips or 3% doubles with Flat seed in White meter is reality.    That means if you have your population set at 32,000 you are either going to have skips and drop 31,000 or turn the air up just a bit and have some doubles = drop 33,000

Get round seed and it will plant nearly perfect all day every day.   Also, there is flat seed and then there is FLAT seed.   Some is worse than others.

I order round seed, usually end up getting a couple hybrids in flat seed and just live with a few doubles.

Ya, you gotta pick your poison is right. And hes right, the grading makes a difference as well, some companies are really good, when its small flats, its small flats, all are about the same size and shape. Then some companies must have Ray Charles grading seed, theres small flats, large flats, some rounds, all in a bag that's supposed to be large flats. Those are a nightmare. 

I do the same, I always pick doubles over skips. But with medium rounds I can plant all day at 99.5% or better. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)