AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Deere 945 MoCo impeller adjustment???
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Haybale
Posted 6/11/2019 11:29 (#7553215 - in reply to #7552757)
Subject: RE: Deere 945 MoCo impeller adjustment???

SW Iowa
I have ran a 946 with impellers for many years....my current thoughts are:

The impellers do a nice job of making a windrow and sucking the hay off the cutter bar. I can mow 6 inch grass as close and clean as my lawn mower...a roller machine will not do this due to the air dam the rollers create. The impellers do minimal conditioning. Mine is set in about the 3rd notch from the top 75% of the time. Leaf loss and sharp busted up stems will result if lowering it too far. I mostly cut alfalfa or alfalfa/grass mix. Open more for thick heavy crops, lower for thinner or later cuttings....

The impellers are excellent for letting rocks, fence posts. tile intakes, tires, tree limbs, other objects "I didn't know were there" through the machine, not tearing up the cutterbar. Again a roll machine will not. I have seen a rock get stuck in a roll machine bouncing around an knocking out 7 of 11 modules. Most of the time the impellers will suck them through before they cause any damage.

Changing speeds is not something I want to do often, mine is on low.

Flipping the fingers is also not something I would want to do unless I was really bored or had a shop bigger than my house and needed something to do in the winter, the bolts are lock tighted on and likely rounded off if the mower has seen much use.

I have a love hate relationship with impellers. When mowing vs a roll machine the rolls with be drier by half a day or so. The plus to the impellers is cut quality and much lower maintenance. Deere urethane rollers are junk.

I often will put the swath board down and lay the hay as wide as possible. Usually rake on day 3 or morning of 4 and bale on day 4. It takes a 12 wheel rake to comfortably reach 2 if you are laying wide, a 10 will do it if you are windrowing.

PS....if you ever wrap it up in barb wire go straight for the torch......

Edited by Haybale 6/11/2019 11:45
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)