AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Returning seed?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

boa628
Posted 6/11/2019 08:14 (#7552957 - in reply to #7552801)
Subject: RE: Returning seed?

SWOH
Fetv - 6/11/2019 06:48

If you planted treated seed next year I presume the treatment would not be effective? So it would be like planting untreated seed?

Also how much would the germination rates decrease?

Not necessarily, depends on what it’s treated with. Carry over corn is usually fine as long as it’s stored correctly, basic rule is 50 degrees and 50% humidity. And then germ test it before you plant it next year. It’s very common for seed companies to carry over seed corn a couple of years. With some of the biological stuff that’s in corn treatment now, I really don’t know how that works with carry over and the need to retreat every year. Beans on the other hand, not a very good idea to carry over. Doesn’t really have anything to do with the treatment, beans don’t maintain germ like corn does. The main thing treatment has an effect on with beans is most companies won’t take them back because they can’t really do anything with old treated beans. Can’t resell them next year and can’t take them to the elevator to get rid of them.

Germination rates decreasing on corn depends on a lot of variables, if germ tests were pretty good to start with and it’s stored right, germ usually doesn’t drop hardly at all. Not sure what the actual percentage is on beans dropping. If you tried it, I’d germ test them before you planted them next year and then adjust population accordingly.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)