AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

adding radish to millet for hay
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Nebraska Sandhiller
Posted 6/11/2019 16:32 (#7553595 - in reply to #7552408)
Subject: RE: adding radish to millet for hay

NNW Nebraska
I almost always plant turnips in millett.

Get some tops in the hay. Usually dry here when it is ready to cut if planted about now.

Swather has a crimper & don't seem that bad getting it dry.

Had some one time, Might have had turnips way to thick and shaded the millet & kept it from growing.. was planted later and millet may have decided day length was getting to short to grow. didn't cut that, just turned the cows in it.

Millett shades the turnips so bulbs don't get very big.

Set the shoes down 2 or 3 holes on swather to cut a high stubble. Last year, turnips grew back and had bulbs about 4" when run out of sumner. A few bigger.

Don't get them to thick. If thick, they grow tall tops & not very big bulbs. Last year, I put tape over every other hole in the little box, on the jd750 drill. Didn't seem thick enough through the summer, but was actually just right. Barely had the flutes showing.
My old drill, I covered every other hole & shut it completely.

Planted later, bulbs don't get very big, end up cutting millett late enough that turnips dont have time to grow much new tops, but cows still really go after them and it still seems worth it.

If you don't cut millett until late, don't know how well the turnips will do. German or white wonder? Peral?

Edited by Nebraska Sandhiller 6/11/2019 16:36
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)